SEO is search engine optimization. The idea hides the complex development of the site and its promotion to reach the first lines in the search engine results. SEO promotion of websites can be defined in another way - it is a funnel for driving traffic to a site and as a tool for influencing search robots to achieve leadership in search results. The question is, why is it important to be in the top line of search results? The answer is provided by the statistics of search engines for commercial queries, that is, for search queries that reflect the user's desire to make a purchase. Of all traffic, 95% falls on the first page of search results and from 60% to 80% on 1-3 lines of issue. Every resource owner is ready to draw that kind of attention to his site, brand, or product. It's important to do your best to climb to the top of the search results.
SEO promotion today includes the following basic elements:
- constant monitoring of changes in algorithms that search engines use to rank and make appropriate adjustments
- checking the relevance (correspondence) of search queries. It is imperative to timely track when keywords and phrases used on your site are losing popularity among search engine users and change the direction of optimization
- creation of a list of basic requests and regular expansion with new requests
- internal optimization, including site code and navigation, content quality and increase in loading speed
- timely tracking the actions of site visitors and responding to all negative symptoms
- efficiency analysis to adjust the promotion strategy
It is a fact that SEO specialists do not know for certain what formulas search engines use to rank resources. But the key and fundamental factors are clear. Usability, availability, and quality of the mobile version, loading speed and user behavior are indicators that directly affect the position of the site in search results. It is especially worth highlighting site optimization for smartphones and other mobile devices, as traffic from desktop computers is increasingly inferior to traffic from mobile devices.
A webmaster can get a website to the top of the search results if he optimizes the website as required. In this case, the search engine considers about 800 parameters.
- Until 1998 - the initial stage when website promotion carried out using spam keys. Today this technique looks "dirty" against the background of modern methods.
- 1998-2009 was the time of PageRank. Google used this algorithm to determine the ranking of a site based on the number of links to that site on the Internet. The instrument was far from ideal. Those who spent more on buying links got into the TOP of search engines. In the Russian segment, Yandex used the TIC (citation index) indicator for the same purposes.
- Since 2009, SEO has grown in importance. Search engines declare war on links and suggest ranking factors. After updating the algorithms, buying links is no longer enough. It is important to have quality content and a well thought out site structure.
- 2016 was the year that the leading search engines released their new ranking algorithms. Ultimately, it became clear to the webmasters that they would have to constantly take the relevance of key phrases, make the site more user-friendly, fill it with high-quality content, work on optimizing the code and improving the design. Changing SEO principles helps us to conclude that it is necessary to keep abreast of the latest developments in search engine promotion. This is the only way to be sure of the high efficiency of actions.
How does SEO work?
As mentioned, SEO has two main components: internal and external optimization. It is important that both given due attention, otherwise effective promotion will be impossible.
As part of internal optimization, the quality of the site improves, which leads to its promotion in search results. This requires the following steps:
- choose the right keywords to promote your resource and build a semantic basis from them.
- fix technical bugs including code, speed up loading and get rid of broken (not working) pages
- optimize the images on the site to speed up page loading
- improve the usability of resources (usability). Webmasters often ignore this optimization unreasonably. But these days, just preparing the landing page content isn't enough, you need to focus on usability and design. For example, a button should not be rectangular, but rounded. Research has shown that users are more likely to click on rounded buttons, which is important.
- optimize the site structure and create the correct sitemap
- link resource pages with reciprocal links
- work on the description of the title and heading in the formats H1 - H6
Ten years ago, this improvement was only about increasing the number of links. But now more subtle and thoughtful work is need, in few of the new requirements of search engines. Nevertheless, the goal remains the same - to gain link mass. External optimization performs the following tasks:
- prepare and post content that can grab the attention of users. They will spread information and therefore increase the number of links on the Internet.
- register your site in directories, get links on forums, preferably thematic. When choosing donor sites, pay attention to those that have little spam.
- use social networks and specialized services
As you take these steps, remember to track the actions and positions of your main competitors. You need to check monthly.
Practical aspects of SEO
Now is the time to move from theory to practice. Next, we'll look at how to properly monitor SEO experts and what techniques you can use to do this.
Controlling the work of optimizers
Once you've identified the objectives and selected an SEO expert, you need to make it clear that his work will be regulate. Specify the frequency of submission of progress reports. (Once a week or once a month) and always with a text description. To effectively control the work, it is advisable to follow these recommendations.
- watch for changes in the positions of site pages for important requests from the list. They may not reach their peak immediately. But the progress must be seen
- with proper optimization, the volume of traffic coming from search results will increase
- watch the growth of the number of links. For purchased links, you can request access to your personal account on the exchange where the link was purchase. In it you can make sure that the purchased link is working and is "eternal" (permanent)
- it is also important to monitor the visibility of a resource in search engines to estimate the number of search queries for which your site will appear in search results. You can use Rush Analytics or Serpstat for this
For important keywords from the list, you can request a report from the SEO specialist tasked with optimizing. If an agency works with your site, then the issues of reporting are fix in the contract.
To make it easier for you to control the executors, we will decipher the professional terms used by search engine optimizers. You should watch for metrics such as text nausea, text uniqueness, and keyword ratio.
- nausea is the degree to which your text saturated with key phrases. This indicator reflects the naturalness of the content and optimization for key search queries. Nausea should not be higher than 9%
- uniqueness of the text. Percentage shows how unique your content is. A suitable indicator is at least 90%.
- ratio of keywords. The number of keywords in the text should not exceed the maximum limit of 5%. To determine the percentage of this ratio, the number of repetitions must to divide by the total number of words in the text and multiplied by 100%.
A word of caution for those who are not very versed in this topic.
If your site is in the top search bar, make sure it is not an advertisement. The results of the SEO specialist's work should appear in the search results under the ad unit.
Small technical bonus
- renew your domain up to 3 years - this will increase the trust of search engines to your resources. Domain and hosting are different services. Even if you ordered them from the same company
- mark the location of your company on the search engine map (Google Business). Search engines are also promoting their services and this should be use.
- include words from your main search terms in your website URL. In English or transliterated. Ideal if the URL will be the main target request
There are many such techniques. Some of them can play a large role in the promotion, while others may not. Check out search engine recommendations and consult with your experts.
Marketing tools like SEO are effective. Although the positive effect of their use is not immediately noticeable. But over time, you will notice it more often and more regularly. As you optimize your site, search engine rankings will bring increased value. If there is a search engine, there will be search engine optimization.