- The path to the new platform consists of the following steps:
Once you have selected the most appropriate management system for your site, and have saved and tested the backup in the old version, we will take the active steps to move it.
The path to the new platform consists of the following steps:
Choosing a new CMS for the site
A strange thought, but this is the most important step when moving a site. About this step often forgotten or ignored. For the right choice, you must clearly define:
- disadvantages of the existing platform, requiring replacement of the CMS
- dunctions and capabilities of the new CMS (both built-in and additional, as well as paid plugins)
- the requirements for your own site and the goals you want to achieve with the transfer
- the absence of any functions does not allow you to make the most of your own resources
By knowingly comparing and evaluating this data, you will be able to understand whether choosing a new CMS is a smart choice and will meet your needs and expectations.
Assessment of resource performance before transfer to a new CMS
We mentioned that it is very difficult to avoid wastage during site migration. But first, you need to capture the information that will monitored in assessing these losses. Comparing old and new metrics will help you plan in a timely manner and achieve better results.
When choosing assessment criteria, use the information you are interested in, first, to analyze the performance of the site. Use the long (annual) and latest (one month) Google Analytics reports to obtain benchmark data.
You can also use data from analysis systems such as Seprstat and Topvisor to compare data.
Data for programmers
Customers may not always be able to provide this information because they may not have enough knowledge in this area. However, this item can used to check the quality of the programmer's work. For example, by requesting a report in the form of a screenshot.
The main points should be as follows:
- rules for the formation of the site structure
- template for URL generation
- example of using meta tags Title, Description, H1
- main parameters:
- requirements for setting up Robots.txt and Sitemap.xml
- configuring server response codes
- setting up micro-markup
- image customization options, etc.
- detailed list of SEO corrective actions
Checking the test version of the site
Before accepting the job of a programmer who prepared a test version of the site according to the terms of reference, you need to analyze the work performed and make sure that everything as you would like. Check first
- compliance with the stated design requirements, using a design layout or choosing a quality replacement template
- checking the exact fulfillment of all points of the assignment. To speed up the process and minimize possible errors and misunderstandings, we recommend that you carry out such checks during each technical operation.
- overview of the site usability. If possible, attract third-party assistants or do it yourself and try to evaluate the convenience of the resource from the point of view of the visitor
- сheck the operation and performance of the test version resources
Terms of reference for site transfer to a new CMS
- If the preliminary version of the site suits you, prepare the terms of reference for each stage of the transfer and implementation control. Focus on generating the response code 301, in other words managing redirects.
- File transfer audit. Save your Google bar data to avoid data loss.
- The relevance of data on the site: date, contacts and other information must be realistic.
- Transferring content to a new engine with data preservation.
- Transfer of information about the transfer of the site and related changes to specialists working on the optimization and promotion of the resource.
- The procedure for approving the test version of the site and the data of the authorized person confirming the initiation of the site migration process to the new platform.
As mentioned above, when transferring a site to another CMS, you will need to change all settings in Google Analytics. At the same stage, you need to configure the e-commerce functionality for the site.
Checking a new version
In addition to checking the functionality of the forms, buttons, and links on the site, you should check the following
- Robots.txt file
- redirects on the site
- meta tags for each page
- correct transmission of statistics data
We record data from Google Analytics and start tracking statistics. Initially, it is advisable to check the position of the site every day and compare the statistical data with the control data. There may be some decrease during the first week (usually 10-20%). After 3-5 weeks, if all the work on the site transfer completed without errors, the resource should return to the previous position or the positions will grow.
Now you know how to transfer sites from one CMS to another without significant loss of positions. The process is very time consuming and cumbersome. Therefore, it is only necessary to make a move decision if the benefit is significant.
Remember: the correct choice of the platform, a clear understanding and adherence to all necessary actions is the key to success. This will avoid serious problems and eliminate the need to fix something global in the next few years.