What is Google Analytics?
Google Analytics is a free website traffic analysis service from the Google search engine that provides detailed information about all visitors, showing information about the region, operating system, service provider, traffic sources and other important parameters.
Principle of operation
The owner's website loading Java Script code from Google that automatically tracks all clicks. The system will begin to record actions and movements as soon as a visitor enters any page of the resource, while both direct transitions and visits from search engines, social networks, advertising services and other resources.
All data sent to Google's servers, where processed and combined into a single database. After a few seconds, they appear in the information panel, where you can apply various filters and widgets to view information.
Google analytics capabilities
Collecting statistics on Google gives site owners a ton of options. Let's focus on the main points:
- Analysis tools. full attendance information, custom variables, traffic visualization, employee sharing support, API tools, and more
- Content analysis. Statistics on all pages of the site, analysis of loading speed, event tracking. A large set of tools to help you get information about resource pages
- Mobile data analysis. Evaluation of the effectiveness of mobile advertising, analysis of applications, statistics of mobile transitions
- Analysis of social activity. Impact of social networks and sources of user referrals.
- Analysis of conversions. Detailed statistics on goals and conversions, sales optimization, tracking the effectiveness of advertising campaigns, visualization, site dynamics
- Advertising analysis. A tool for analyzing and comparing different advertising sources, improving marketing performance, and integrating with AdWords services.
How to install and configure the service
A Google account use to work with the service. Register as a new user or log in with your username at https://www.google.com/analytics/
- Log in to your account in the service and go to the "Administrator" tab
- In the menu that opens, click the "Account" tab, and select the account for which you want to add a site
- In the menu that opens, press Tab. Create resource
- Determine the type of resource for analysis - site or mobile application.
- Let's consider an example for a website. Provide a name for the resource. Include your industry, URL, and time zone. Click the "Get ID" button
- Accept the terms and confirm the action
- You will see a part of the code that must be install on the resource to record user actions and store statistics
- Copy and paste it into the site footer. Or it can be place at the header of the page between the title tags
For popular CMS, there are special plugins that allow you to install the code in just a few clicks using your user ID.
Traffic estimation parameters
Traffic estimation in Google Analytics is based on a large amount of data that the system collects about users. Divide the data into 4 blocks.
- Summary information about site visits. Track the number of pages viewed, unique sessions, total audience, and new visitors
- Audience characteristics. Visitor activity. Number of pages visited by unique users, interests, geographic distribution by IP, etc.
- Sources of referrals. Tracking sites with direct transitions. Advertising traffic. All major search queries from search engines, traffic sources by segment
- The popularity of sections and pages on the site. Full analysis of traffic to each page, section, category, list of popular pages for each resource
These are just a few of the parameters that Google uses to measure website traffic and provide information to webmasters. In general, all data and every visitor's action are record so that the website owner can analyze the attractiveness of his resources to users.
What can you learn from the report?
The statistics collected using Google analytics tools help you understand layout errors in the layout of elements, text, and more. Using reports, you can search for errors and bad solutions on your site.
- Website page loading speed. One of the main factors affecting your search engine rankings
- Tracking events. All information about pressing buttons when navigating between pages and filling out contact forms
- Distribution of traffic by device types. It is important to know the number of visitors using a personal computer and the number of mobile users. Using the statistics collection tool on the Google Analytics website, you determine the percentage of users who visit the resource from mobile devices, tablets, or desktops
- Analysis of sales and conversions, detailed statistics, and analysis of all user actions. From the report, you can understand what factors affect sales.
- Analysis of advertising traffic. Do you use contextual advertising? Can't figure out which ad is the most effective? Google Analytics will provide a detailed report on all ads and recommend which blocks are most effective
Social media activity. Analysis of the site's interaction with social networks. You will receive complete statistics on the transitions from the posted materials in social networks to the site.
Site visibility. Checking and improving
SEO is a set of measures to promote Internet projects and attract more customers. But optimization will not bring the desired results if you cannot measure the effect of the action and evaluate its effectiveness.
There are a few of metrics that can help you gauge the quality of your SEO work. Let's talk about one of them.
Site visibility. Concept and meaning
The name of the indicator indicates that it is directly related to the site's visibility by search engine users. That is, visibility is the number of possible site impressions for a specific thematic query.
Various SEO techniques aim precisely at maximizing this visibility. The higher the number, the better. The goal is to achieve the dominance of the resource in the TOP-3 search results by the maximum number of requests. These sites view and visit more often.
An analysis of the site's visibility shows how effective the measures and means used for the development of web resources are.
How to check website visibility online
Manual calculations will be quite long and tedious. Therefore, we recommend using a special service for calculating Serpstat and SeRanking, which allow you to quickly and easily get information for analysis.
Let's consider an example of a multifunctional service Serpstat. With its help, you will get a lot of useful SEO data and clarify a many of analytical parameters.
You need to log into the service and enter the domain name. In addition to the other statistics, under the Summary Report, you will find the Visibility parameter. Serpstat selects at least 20 keywords that the site has in the search results. The calculations also use query frequency and click-through rates. In other words, the service uses algorithms to calculate the visibility of the site and operates based only its own database.
How to improve your site's visibility on search engines
We are looking for a way to determine the real visibility of the resource, and not get "naked" numbers. The task of the calculation is to find weaknesses in optimization for the previous period in comparison with competitors. Obtain information proving SEO effectiveness and take corrective action if something goes wrong. Consider ways to improve the visibility of your site and help it take the lead.
All SEO optimization techniques aim to improve search engine rankings based on existing ranking algorithms. On the other hand, the ability of search engines to respond to improvements has a positive effect on the visibility of website traffic and therefore on visibility scores.
- Low ranking factors in search results
- Site blocking by search engines
- Absence or insignificant number of external and internal links of the resource
- Low quality content
- Errors or missing meta tags
- Slow page loading speed
- The site is not optimized for mobile devices
- Low score for user friendliness (usability)
- Poor website structure
A comprehensive high-quality SEO audit will help identify weaknesses and adjust make the resource more attractive to search engines. The result will be an improvement in all indicators, including site visibility in search engines.
Google Display Network (GDN)
Google Display Network Overview
The Google Display Network (GDN) is Google's contextual and display advertising system. Advertisement shown on partner sites as well as on Google services (YouTube, Gmail, etc.). The system will automatically select sites that match the subject of the ad in addition, other factors are considering when submitting a proposal. For example, campaign setup (advertisers can exclude certain resources) and audience settings.
Google Display Benefits
- Reach a wide audience. The Google AdWords advertising network spans over two million websites in multiple languages and geographies. Google attracts partners on favorable terms, so the Display Network has many popular resources, blogs, and forums that your target audience can visit. Wide audience reach depends on the popularity of Google systems and their services. For advertisers, this means they can send as much information as possible to potential customers.
- Convenient settings. Google takes its ad network very seriously. Over the years, the functionality of AdWords was thoroughly test and optimize. Advertisers can set the conditions for displaying ads. Region, time, user profile on social network, type of site, etc. This helps to show offers to interested audiences, while reducing the number of unproductive (wasted) clicks. The ability to set limits on impressions, budget, and other parameters can help you control the cost of your ad campaigns.
- Various analytics tools on Google Display Network offer many opportunities in terms of collecting statistics and analyzing the effectiveness of advertising campaigns. Users can track where their ads appear, measure click-through rates, and more. This helps to optimize your ad campaign for your target audience.
- Different Types of Ads Google AdWords allows you to place different types of ads. In the form of short links, short advertisements, and video banners. This gives advertisers the ability to choose the most suitable format for their purposes. Selling products or services, increasing brand awareness, conducting promotions, etc. Considering the nature of your audience, region, industry.
- Versatility Google Display Ads are ideal for many businesses that offer a wide range of products and services. The only exceptions are fundamental priorities such as the oil industry and areas in which a customer selects a supplier based on personal recommendations or other individual criteria.